Dear Parent or Guardian,
We are excited about our upcoming annual science fair which will be held on April 4, 2017 for Lower Grades (PreK-2) and April 5, 2017 for Upper Grades (3-5). As part of the science curriculum, your child will be required to complete a science project using the scientific method. This is a perfect opportunity for parents and students to work together on a creative, hands-on approach of scientific principles. Engaging in a science project is a way to gain a deeper understanding of a question or a problem your child may want to explore. To make the process easier, the necessary steps for completing the project will be broken down weekly. A schedule will be sent home soon with the necessary due dates for each component of the project. In addition, there will be workshops to assist you through this process and answer any questions you may have. Below are suggestions on how you might support your child’s progress with his/her project:
- Talk to your child about what he or she might be interested in finding out. Work together to formulate a question that can be answered by setting up an experiment in which measureable data is collected, through an observational study or through an engineering design project.
- Take your child to the library to help him/her search online or through books for information about the topic (background research).
- Help your child document everything they are thinking and observing in their science journals.
- Take pictures of what your child is observing, the materials they are using and what he/she is doing during the process.
- Help your child explain what is happening throughout the whole process which will in turn help them with their oral presentation
If you have any further questions about this project and the science fair, please feel free to contact me, Ms. Fraser via email at email@example.com
Please sign below to acknowledge that you and your child have read and understand the assignment.
Child’s Name _________________________ Child’s Signature __________________________
Parent’s Name ________________________ Parent’s Signature _________________________